Liquor Control Committee Set to Begin
February 23, 2015
As you may have heard, the Montgomery County Council recently created an Ad Hoc Committee on Liquor Control, and I am honored to be chairing that committee.
The Committee has been tasked with reviewing, evaluating, and making recommendations about alternate service delivery models and alcohol regulations and policies. In other words, the Committee will be making recommendations on how the County should control alcohol. This is such an important debate because it closely affects our restaurant and entertainment sectors, quality of life, and ultimately our local economy.
As Chair, I look forward to objectively reviewing all the evidence and community feedback on this crucial issue. To do this, we have scheduled four Committee Worksessions for this Winter/Spring.
February 27 – Overview
- OLO Report 2015-6: Review of Alcohol Control (read the report here)
- Discussion with Executive Branch
March 6 – DLC Management and Operations
- OLO review of legal environment/current DLC operations
- Presentation from IG on Preliminary Inquiry Memorandum and update on ongoing investigation
- Discussion with DLC and MCGEO
March 20 – Economic Competitiveness
- OLO review of DLC/private sector pricing, survey results
- Discussion with Licensees, Distributors and Manufacturers
March 27 – Public Health and Safety
- OLO review of research on impact of Liquor Control on public health
- Discussion with public health and public safety officials
The Committee will resume its work after the County’s budget cycle finishes in June. We will hold a public hearing and additional worksessions with the goal of making recommendations to the full County Council for action.
But to make sure that we find a solution that works, we need your expertise. As a first step, please reach out to me with your thoughts by emailing email@example.com or calling my office at 240-777-7964. You can also share your thoughts with the whole council by going to the Committee’s Website.
We hope that you will stay engaged with us throughout the entire process, and be on the lookout for updates from me after each worksession. I hope you are as excited as am I to tackle this important issue.